Tuesday, December 23, 2003

On random thoughts

I had managed to fix my sleeping patterns down the Sounds. Getting up at 5 in the morning to go fishing. Rowing and fishing and swiming all day, save for a siesta, then more fishing and bed by 11. Repeat. But no. Back to the old whacked sleeping patterns. Still haven't gotten used to the heat up here. 5 degrees warmer than Chch, I reckon.

Nothing much is really happening here. My eye is all better (which is nice). I did get to go to hospital, briefly. Haven't been there for a while. Actually, I went earlier this year when I hit a cricket ball into my head. This time I went because I cut my eye when I took a contact lens off. And then it got infected, which apparently made things 'complicated' because they couldn't give me the steriods I simulatenously crave and deserve. But the did give me a local and then poured orange dye into my eye which made everything much more comfortable and interesting. I've heard of rose tinted glasses before, but the idea of rose tinted dye might catch on.

And I thought of a joke. sadly this has been a highlight. There are Maoist rebels in Nepal. Mike is in Nepal. If Mike gets confronted by Maoist Rebels, all he needs to do to escape is take One Giant Leap Forward.

I never said it was a good joke.

It's been interesting following the progress of Saddam in the papers. There was one very interesting article in the Sunday Star Times arguing that everything would have simplified by shooting Saddam on sight. Now there will have to be a_fair_trial, where he will be able to portray himself as a martyr. And it highlights a couple of interesting points in the Coalition's policy. They're not prepared to execute Saddam on sight because it would go against international law, yet they're more than happy to bomb villages that might be housing rebels. Secondly, why is the United States handing Saddam to the Iraqi's for trial, yet the Serbs could not trial Slobodan Milosevic. The Serbs had (and have) a judicial system, The Iraqi's do not. The whole thing reeks of Bush electionairing.

The argument that he should have been shot on sight is interesting, but the precedent it would start could be dangerous. Not that the current lot have really given a damn about ignoring international law and setting dangerous precedents.

Showind Saddam getting his medical was a breach of the Geneva conventions. Prisoners of War (which he should be ) should not be used for propoganda. *sigh*. I'm ranting again.

Anyway, I've put up a web counter to see how many people actually look at this. Probably will take it down quickly once it is clear that I read it.

I'm out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home