Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The difference between Rumour and Gossip
 
Lest one think that this blog is the creative outlet of an idle mind, I have decided to address the extremely complex, inarticulate and controversial topic of gossip and rumour in order to dispel some of the more ridiculous notions of the two.
 
Gossip and rumour are two different concepts. Rumour is 'the common talk' or a popular report. Gossip is intimate or scandalous rumour, or a British godparent.
 
In order to put this into perspective I will use contemporary examples and link them back to the above definitions. If we take the current National parties decision to imprison anyone related to a criminal and detain them in a large, inescapable quarry for the rest of their 'unnatural' lives in order to create an atmosphere of trust, love and companionship among the 'free majority' on the outside. This manifesto is clearly a populist pandering to the knee-jerk, Muldoonesque voters who want nothing more than to see NZ's surplus turned into a 19th century penal colony. Not only is it populist, it also appears to be popular. It is thus classified as 'rumour' as it is a popular report. I might add that it is idle rumour as no-one in National has bothered to really think about the social, political or economic ramifications of 1984. I'd prefer a brave new world. More drugs. More sex.
 
Gossip is an interesting topic. A number of us may or may not have been accused of being gossips by our man in London, Charles. I was once of the opinion that this meant that my idle an wagging tongue caused him grief - although I was confused as this made him to my eyes an introvert. Charlie is no introvert. Imagine my glee and surprise when I discovered that a gossip was actually a British godparent. Am slightly relieved that my idle chit-chat has not offended an esteemed colleague and drinking partner, and touched that his firstborn is my godson. So congratulations to Charlie, Charlina and Charleston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home