Monday, September 27, 2004

If you go down to the woods today...

Went and saw The Village on Saturday with Fi. It was pretty good. I've heard really good reviews and really bad. I thought it fell somewhere inbetween.

The basic premise of the movie is that an isolated village exists in a valley. On the hills are the woods. There is a truce between the villagers and the creatures that live in the woods. The villagers are not allowed into the woods. Being an M. Night Shyamalan movie there is an expectation of a twist aka The Sixth Sense or, to a lesser extent, Signs. Reviewers have either loved or hated the 'twist' in The Village. I saw it coming but there will still enough 'huh?' moments to keep me interested. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood to think. The script was good, the plot was reasonable, and there were some fantastic landscape shots that added to the atmosphere. The acting was very good and I think this was the main reason the moive worked. Signourney Weaver and William Hurt were convincing, if nothing spectacular, as two of the Elders. Adrian Brody was good - completely and utterly different to his role in The Pianist, which was nice. Joaquin Phoenix was typically understated and quietly brilliant. He's rapidly becoming one of my favourite actors - and clearly one of Shyamalan's. The star performance, however, was Bryce Dallas Howard who played the blind daughter of Hurt. Howard, daughter of Happy Days' and A Beautiful Mind's Ron Howard, managed to convey both vulnerability and strength without resorting to cliche. I think most other actresses would have struggled.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet make sure you do.

In other news... someone put Jaguar F1 on Ebay.

Damn brain.

3 Comments:

At 27 September 2004 at 19:12, Blogger Miche said...

It's The Pianist that Adrien Brody was in, Dave. Not The Piano.

*sigh*

 
At 28 September 2004 at 15:25, Blogger Searlo said...

What? What you talking about? That's what I said!

*whistles jauntily and walks away*

 
At 30 September 2004 at 15:00, Blogger Searlo said...

Unbreakable was... ok, but I don't think they're in the same league. As for Claire and I - the war aint between us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home