Thursday, October 21, 2004

Jacques Derrida 'Dies'

Which does suck. Although he's been slammed by a number of academics with far more intelligence that I, I've got a lot of time for his ideas on deconstruction. To a point, of course. To blur the line between fiction and reality can be dangerous. But the idea that words can have several complex meanings which even the author may not be strictly aware of is attractive to someone who is examining a POW diary for a thesis, and admires the Annales and microhistorians. It's all about symbols, people.

Gave paper at conference today. And I have to say I'm disappointed. My primary supervisor, internal marker, HOD and a couple of lecturers who I get on with quite well with were there and they didn't really say anything. No criticism or pointed questions. All I got was requests for clarification or 'wow I didn't expect that'. For the love of god critique and criticise me! Suggest more obscure or postmodern texts for me to angst about and cry over. Tell me I'm wrong or hopelessly idealistic, naive and bordering on the arrogant. Don't say nothing! That makes me insecure.

(I don't have issues....)

Never thought I'd bitch about not being slammed.

2 Comments:

At 22 October 2004 at 01:57, Blogger Luther said...

Your presentation was a well-plotted piece of nonclaptrap that never made me want to retch.

 
At 22 October 2004 at 20:42, Blogger sigma1 said...

Know how you feel dave. I mean how are you going to sell books to or be taken seriously by people if you cant even piss them off???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home